Flaming Hot Cheetos Fries, Hot Candy Wings, Pierogi Poutine and Luv Puffs are among the new foods on this year’s lineup during the Best 12 Days of Summer.
On Wednesday, August 7th, the gates of the 180th Erie County Fair will officially open to welcome over 1 million hungry fairgoers. During the 12-days of the Fair, the Fairgrounds plays host to over 500 food items available at 125 food stands. This year’s bill-of-fare ranges from time-honored regional favorites to limited edition, deep fried novelty treats only found at the Fair.
New items have been added to the menu and are part of the Fair’s New Food Showdown. Fair food fans will again be able to vote for the “Best New Food at the Fair” in the Erie County Fair App. Voting will begin opening day August 7th and continue thru August 13th. The winner will be announced on Thursday, August 15th. Past champions have included Mineo & Sapio’s Chorizo Ciabatta Sandwich (2015), Mark’s Pizza and Subs’ Deep-Fried Bologna Bites (2016), Babcia’s Pierogi’s Crab Stuffed Mushroom Pierogi (2017) and Apple Quesadilla by Jack’s Delicious Taco in a Bag (2018).
This year’s new fair foods will not disappoint Fairgoers with a sense of culinary adventure. Items in the New Food Showdown include:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Poutine by Poutine Gourmet
- Fresh French fries covered in a brown Canadian gravy and melty cheese curds, topped with bacon and ground beef.
- Brisket Nachos by Dre’s Place BBQ
- Brisket chopped and served on nacho chips, with cheese and our signature sauce drizzled on top (spice it up with jalapeno peppers).
- Buffalo Chicken Banana Peppers by Salvatore’s Pizza
- A Buffalo match made in heaven! Banana peppers stuffed with buffalo style chicken filling.
- Chicken Feta Fries by Venus
- Marinated chicken breast on top of a bed of steak cut fries, topped with feta cheese, garlic sauce, and Greek dressing.
- Hot Candy Wings by BW BBQ
- A new twist on an old favorite! Chicken wings tossed in a hot candy sauce.
- Mac & Cheese Sundae by Mineo & Sapio
- Elbow macaroni smothered in our four-cheese sauce with red and green peppers, caramelized onions, sausage “sprinkles,” topped with traditional red sauce and a meatball “cherry” on top.
- Pierogi Poutine with Shredded Pot Roast by Babcia’s Pierogi
- Babcia’s potato cheddar pierogi topped with cheese curds, shredded Guinness pot roast and savory gravy to make the ultimate poutine.
- Potato Butts by Renaissance Lodge Curly Q’s
- Deep fried potato slices garnished with your choice of cheese and bacon, sour cream and chive, or hot sauce.
- Soba Noodle Stir-Fry with Sweet Teriyaki Chicken by Wok on the Wild Side Foods
- Wok-fried soba noodles with market fresh vegetables glazed in our signature sweet teriyaki sauce and served with sweet teriyaki chicken.
- The Flaming Hot Cheetos Fries by Big Kahuna’s
- Hot, freshly made fries drizzled with cheddar cheese sauce and finished with Flaming Hot Cheetos to bring some heat to this original treat.
New for 2019, “Sweets & Treats” has been separated into its own “New Foods Showdown” category. Menu items include:
- Caramel Crack Fries by Big Kahuna’s
- Crispy Fries covered with salted caramel and rolled cinnamon sugar, with whipped cream and fruity pebbles on top to complete this treat.
- Luv Puffs by Tropical Luv
- A popular festival and street market dessert originating in Amsterdam. This treat resembles mini, fluffy pancakes. The batter is made fresh each day! Pancakes served with gourmet toppings like Nutella Crunch.
- Loganberry Funnel Cake Corn Dog by Chester’s Gators & Taters
- A hot dog dipped in funnel cake batter, deep fried to perfection, drizzled with loganberry syrup and a dash of powdered sugar. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert all in one!
- Not Your Mother’s Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake by Cheesecake Guy
- Two slices of peanut butter cheesecake sandwiched around a layer of loganberry jelly with a drizzle of peanut butter, more delicious jelly and a side of potato chips.
- Strawberry Mezza Luna by Salvatore’s Pizza
- A classic calzone crust filled with strawberries and cream cheese… a sweet treat sure to please!
- Waffle Bombs by Waffle Bomb
- Chocolate covered jumbo strawberries on a stick, dipped in Belgian waffle batter, deep fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Along with the “fairgoer’s vote” for the best, new food of the Fair, a panel of guest judges will sample and vote on their favorites during our New Food Showdown Judging Show that will take place on Thursday, August 8th at 11a. The panel will consist of culinary professionals from the Niagara Falls Niagara Culinary Institute, SUNY Erie’s Culinary Arts Program, Delaware North and Artisan Kitchens & Bath along with media judges including Business First’s Jim Fink, Spectrum News’s Alex Haight, WGRZ’s Kate Welshofer, WBEN’s Brian Mazurowski, WKBW’s Jeff Slawson, WIVB’s Dave Greber and 97 Rock’s Steve Tripi.
2019 marks the 4th year of the Erie County Fair’s participation in the Independent Health Foundation’s Healthy Options program. Participating restaurants have signed on to offer a healthy menu item that has been approved by the Independent Health Foundation. We are proud to announce that each year the list of Healthy Options increases with menu items approved by dieticians. Highlights include:
- Avocado Double Chocolate Cookies by All About the Sugar
- Fresh Tomato, Pepper and Onion Salad by Chiavettas
- White Pizza on Wheat Dough by Pizza Amore
- Caprese Salad & a Spinach & Tomato Pie by Salvatore’s Pizza
Growing each year in popularity, the “Taste of the Fair” Food Festival will return on Monday, August 12th. Fair vendors will feature over 125 “taste” sized portions for only $2. A complete listing of items and locations will be available on the Fair’s website, mobile app and on menus located at Fair gates the day of the event.
Adult fairgoers will be able to wash down all their Fair food with one of three, limited edition beverages. Beers include a Light German Lager, voted the “Best of Show” winner during the Erie County Fair’s 2019 Home Brew Competition and the Erie County Fair American Pale Ale based on the 2015 championship recipe. In addition, the Inaugural Erie County Fair Cider with a recipe provided by home cider maker Jeffrey Clift of Buffalo, produced by Black Bird Cider Works will be available at the Fair’s beer gardens.
The Erie County Fair will partner with the FeedMore WNY (Food Bank & Meals On Wheels) to help fill their warehouse with canned goods. Fairgoers will gain FREE admission to the Fair on Opening Day, Wednesday, August 7th with the donation of TWO canned food items. Donations will be accepted at all Fair gates beginning at Noon.
Following the conclusion of the 180th Fair, on Wednesday, September 18th, the Fair will celebrate “National Birth of the Burger Day.” The day has been set aside to commemorate the invention of the hamburger sandwich that took place during the 1885 Erie County Fair by Frank and Charles Menches of Canton, Ohio. During the Fair, Weidner’s BBQ located on the Avenue of Flags will feature their culinary tribute to the birth of America’s favorite sandwich with the “1885 Burger.”